It’s been a busy couple of weeks since I got back from Plumbers. The merge work seems to be going well; we finally got an ack from Nick on the GEM stuff, so we should be able to push that for 2.6.28. Eric put together a rollup tree with everything we’d like to push (this will probably be the busiest release for i915 since it was initially written), including GEM, several bug fixes, the reworked vblank code (which also contains bug fixes), and support for MSIs, which can save us a lot of CPU time in shared IRQ configurations. The xf86-video-intel 2.5 release is slowly coming together as well, with several bugs fixed, including some of the nastier, EXA related ones. The related 3D and kernel releases are also maturing well, so hopefully this quarter’s release will be stable and feature filled. PCI has been pretty busy too; lots of reviews to do, lots of fixes streaming in and a few new features too (still hoping to get the I/O virtualization support in before the merge window opens too). Finally, the top secret soon-to-be-released platform work is going well; I finally managed to get my bits into a state I’m fairly happy about, so I’m looking forward to seeing it out in the wild.
So the GEM merge, and more generally, some kind of memory manager merge, has been a looong time coming. It looks like the wait will finally be over once the 2.6.28 merge window opens. To recap, having a real memory and execution manager like GEM enables all sorts of good features: reasonable texture-from-pixmap support for our 2D/3D stack, in-kernel mode setting, removal of user level register access from our 2D driver, redirected & composited direct rendering, and probably several more that I’m forgetting. With the kernel bits in place we should be able to merge the kernel mode setting code finally too (it’ll be disabled by default so it should be fairly safe to merge early), and accelerate our pace of integration into the kernel. That means things like improving the panic stuff I demoed at LPC to be even better, and providing some additional features and generally polishing things. Yay!
We’ve been closing bugs at a fairly good rate recently, but I still have some concerns about our stability on G4x machines. I should be getting mine soon though so I can help with that, and Zhenyu will be back from vacation next week to finish off some of the fixes he’s been working on, so I’m confident we’ll be in good shape by the time we release. Carl, meanwhile, has been doing some good work on EXA, closing out the notorious “EXA slower than XAA” bug at long last. With a recent X server, the driver is actually in pretty good shape, performance-wise. Carl is trying to track down a couple of more issues for the release, so if you’re someone who can easily reproduce EXA problems, please add your $0.02 to the various EXA bugs; I’m sure Carl would appreciate it.
On a related note, we’ve finally been able to release the IGD OpRegion specification, which should allow distributors and developers to more easily hack on the driver to support various platform features, like ambient light sensors and hot keys. And for pre-OpRegion platforms, I’ve been trying to add more support to our VBIOS support code to at least document the various structures and handshaking registers, I hope to be able to push that work out soon, though I doubt I’ll have time to writeup a full PRM like we did for the OpRegion spec.
The PCI arena has been fairly busy over the last couple of weeks. Several people got involved in the e1000e NVRAM fire drill, including me (since the X server was initially though to be to blame, and it just so happens that I also wrote the code the X server was using to bang on PCI registers). In the course of debugging the problem, we added several safety checks to various bits of code (the PCI sysfs layer, the I/O resource management layer, the e1000e driver itself, etc.) which turn out to be generally good to have regardless. On the patch management front things have been looking good; we’ve merged several cleanups and fixes (including at least one annoying regression) in the past couple of weeks. The PCI slot naming and SR-IOV support patches aren’t merged yet, but they’ve been getting a lot of review so I hope to be able to pull them in soon (and in time for 2.6.28).
Well that’s it for now. Back to doing ‘git pull’ every few minutes to see if the GEM bits have landed yet. :)
BTW, thanks for all the hard work. I think it is amazing that a composited desktop for me is now snappier than uncomposited was just two years ago on the same machine. X has been improving remarkably. Keep up the good work.
congrats for the window merge pull..
Leave a comment:
Trackback address for this post:
No Trackbacks for this post yet...
No Pingbacks for this post yet...